fly or die
 
Wednesday, August 04, 2004
Meet the Parents, Part III
We arrive at the restaurant around 7pm. I catch a glimpse of myself at the glass door, I look very different from 4 years ago. I'm smarter too. This time, I wear a dress. Heels. Make-up and perfume. My hair has grown to shoulder length and I've just had it layered. And they are all black. *sigh* My rebel days are truly gone.

What is there to not like? I thought.

Matt takes my hand leads me into the restaurant. I feel self-conscious, I feel stares jab at me, as if every patron is looking at me. I struggle to keep my chin up and I scan the room quickly for the target. Must be this table? No. This one? No. That one? No.

Then, there they are. Matt's dad, mom and 3rd sister. Matt hugs his sis and slaps his dad on the back. He sits me next to his sister and he next to his dad.

He introduces me. I smile, but I think my lips trembled. And my ears went hot.
Marie, his sister, starts, "So, you work in advertising ah?"
"Yeah," I nodded. Marie is 2 years older than Matt, unmarried. Living in Ipoh, managing a small business. She has nice teeth too. And his kinda lips, curvy. But unlike Matt, she is, well, large. And she has his mother's eyes - dark, large and deep set. (Shucks! If only he got them.) Marie could look stunning, but she obviously never bothered.
"Wah, very glamour hoh?"
"No lah, not really. Just a lot of hard work," I said and sipped the hot chinese tea to calm myself.
Then Matt complains about my long hours, how he never gets to see me and tells them all the latest ads I've done. They nod politely as if they know, though I know they haven't seen them.

His mom, Mrs Wong, is petite. And, a beauty in her hey days. Her grace was not inherited by Marie. Or Matt. From her eyes and the way they linger over Matt, tracing every curve of his face, I know she loves her only son to death. "You've put on a little," she says to Matt, "Look much better."
"Of course lah, finally, got woman want him. Happy, sure get fat wan," Marie interrupts.
I laugh. I like Marie.
Mr Wong adds, "You better take good care of her, you know. Pretty girl like her, sure got a lot of guys after, you know?"
Matt takes after his Dad - his height, lanky frame, thick head of hair that curls at the ends except that Mr Wong is greying. He has bi-focals, which he keeps in his right short-sleeve shirt pocket and takes it out when he wants to read the menu.
"Yeah, yeah. Just like how you took care of Ma," Matt grins and winks at Mommy. She smiles and looks at me. I lower my eyes. She must think I'm so fortunate to have her son.
"Your Ma had 4 men, no, 5 fellas, after her at that time," Mr Wong launches into his great love story. Mrs Wong nudges him to shut up, but to no avail. She quietly shakes her head. Matt and Marie, having heard it all their lives started their own stories, at the side.

But I was fascinated. Mr Wong knows how to spin a yarn - the details, the colour, right pauses, the drama. A storyteller, which was probably why she fell for him. But the tales have gotten tired and I could see that she wasn't as charmed as before. She still smiled at all the right places but it was a reflex, no longer genuine delight. That marred the tale a little for me. I would have wanted to see them still madly in love. But maybe that only happens in paperback novels. Here I saw, respect and a load of tolerance.

"Enough, Pa, can we eat?" Matt says when the food arrives, "I'm gonna lose weight if I wait anymore." He digs in. Then continues, "Ma, I don't get it, we're all so thin, but Marie - what happened ar?"
"Yeah lah, yeah lah she pick me from the rubbish bin," Marie interjects.
"Must have been a very, very big bin," he laughed.
"You satay stick, eat-lah," she bops him on the head.

I could hardly recognise Matt. He was beaming, chatting excitedly, joking, being silly, interjecting his father's remarks in Hakka. He transformed before his family.

He became Ah-Boy.


  • Pencil chewed at
  • 1:44:00 pm //
     
    template © elementopia 2003
     
     
     
    about me
    A neurotic, nail biting, slightly schizo, caffeine crazed copywriter who doesn't know better than waste her life in the pursuit of the golden pencil a.k.a The One Show. To console me, click here.

    Or simply Blogroll Me!

    Today's mood is The current mood of musing@go.com at www.imood.com
    Female. Lives in Malaysia/Selangor/Petaling Jaya, speaks English. Eye color is brown. I am what my mother calls unique. I am also optimistic. My interests are diving/blogging.
    This is my blogchalk:
    Malaysia, Selangor, Petaling Jaya, English, Female, diving, blogging.
     
    archives
    December 2003
    January 2004
    February 2004
    March 2004
    April 2004
    May 2004
    June 2004
    July 2004
    August 2004
    September 2004
    October 2004
    November 2004
    December 2004
    January 2005
    February 2005
     
    people mentioned in this blog
    I realised that it is increasingly difficult for you to identify who's who in this blog. So here's a rundown. Will try to categorise entries to names but that will take some time, cause I still haven't figured out how to do it.
    In the agency
    Big Billy - Boss, my Creative Director
    Donna - beautiful bimbo Account Executive
    Heng - the art director I used to work with
    Hoe, Mr - my favourite client
    Jenna - the art director I'm working with now
    Susan - street smart Group Account Director
    Tina - my Traffic Manager
    Tomas - fellow copywriter, confidante

    Beyond the agency
    June & Mila - my best gal pals
    Matt - the guy dating me
    Minnie & Moe - my guppies
    Trish - the friend who set me up with Matt

    *all names have been changed.
     
    my zany portfolio
    I'll paste work here periodically. But none of them will be real client work - just my own initiates and doodling.
  • Perodua Kancil
  •  
    awesome ad of the week
    G-Day Coffee TVC. Scene opens on guy trying to slide down a dry water slide. He gets stuck. He finally manages to squeak all the way down. TVC ends with him savouring a mug of G-Day coffee and the tag "Save water for G-Day coffee". A bit unreal but I love the humour. And the talent, the Each Other actor (I forgot his name), is super. He makes it work.
     
    wished i wrote that
    We tell our prospects. When you reach for the stars you may not quite get one, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either. - Leo Burnett
     
    resources
    « The One Show »
    « Archive Online »
    « Free TVCs »
    « Adage »
    « Adoimagazine »
    « Books at how&why »
     
    increase your ad quotient
    Read about Leo Burnett, one of advertising's greats. Click here for profile by Time.

    Learn from the masters in this Wall Street Journal's Creative Leaders Series.

     
    blog ads
     
    quickies
    Name

    URL or Email

    Write your messages below and Fly!
    Click for smilies



    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com