fly or die
 
Thursday, April 29, 2004
Chicken Pox Survivor
It was to be my day. A day of freedom. Yeah. I survived.

Be thankful for small mercies in life. That's what mom used to say. And so it is with that spirit that I got into the car that morning, on Poxing Day 14 and drove to work.

I was beaming - partly hoping that my megawatt smile will detract from the pox marks. And partly because I was glad to end my hermit-dom. But the real thrill was the dozen or more pieces of paper I clutched under my armpits. I could feel their power - their excitement and I was dying to share them.

"Oi Tomas!" I hollered.
"Stay away, pox girl!" he quipped, "My God! Look at you!" He shrieked in horror.
"Jerk," I said, "See this!" I waved my fist at him.
Tomas walks over to my cube and ruffles my hair. I hate that condescending gesture but today, it felt alright. Almost good. Almost. "Prick!" I muttered and shoved his hand away. "How have things been?" I asked
"Shitty. As always."
"Of course. Sunshine hasn't been around," I beamed.
He did a puking gesture.
Then Big Billy walks pass. "Hey, hey, hey," he says.
"Hi Billy!"
"Good to have you back," he then pauses, "when you're done with all this," he circles the air with his index fingers, "could you step into my office for a mo?"
"Sure," I said. My heart raced a little. Having a chat with your boss first thing in the morning is not a good sign. So, I said a few quick hello-s and skipped into the room marked CREATIVE DIRECTOR.
"What's up?" I said casually and slouched on the sofa.
How bad did I pox? What did I eat? What are the Chinese customs on this things? Urgh, Billy, you're horrid at small talk, could we just get on with it? I thought.
"We're restructuring a bit," he finally huffed, "moving people and accounts around. You ..." he does his index finger cirling again, "with Jenna ..." he circles towards the direction of Jenna's cube.
"Jenna?" my eyes widened. Jenna is this freshie art director.
"She may not be as experienced as Heng but she's pretty strong conceptually."
"Hmm... I'm not sure. I've never worked with her." I paused, "Have you spoken to Heng?"
He nodded.
"And he is fine with that?"
He nodded.
Ouch. Strangely it hurt like hell. Like being dumped. Though I know it isn't.
"What about the accounts?" I asked.
He pulled out an A4 sheet and showed me the new line up. I quickly scanned it for the name of my dream account. I let out a little silent "yay!" It is still under me.
"But Heng and I worked on [dream account]. I know he has some amazing ideas for it," I said.
Billy looked pained, as if I had undermined his brilliance.
"I know," he said. Inhaled really deeply on his fag and said, "But he screwed it up."
I gave a 'I-donno-what-u-mean' look.
"Servicing and client are uncomfortable having him on it."
"Serious?" I balked.
"This is too important for us to screw it up some more."
"Still Jenna is too young, too new for this level of work," I argued.
"She's a quick learner."
I felt my volume crank up, "Billy, are you asking me to consider this new partner or are you telling me?"
"Next month," he says.
I stood and left his room.

My day wasn't panning out the way I had wanted. The power of those ideas withered. The thought of not working with Heng was devastating. We had so many dreams. Plans. Hopes of walking up the stage on Kancil night.

"Heng," I gathered myself and walked over to his table, "What is this I've heard from Billy?"
"They want me out."
"Why?"
"I mess things up. Susan's big fuss."
"Can't you talk to Billy and Susan?"
"What for?"
"We've worked really hard for this. Can't just give it up like this."
He sighed. Shook his head. He gave me a last look and continued mousing.

"Tomas," I whimpered, "is it time for your cigi yet?"
"C'mon," he said.
The dark, musty emergency stair made a good hideout.
I sat on the steps. Quiet. Sullen.
Tomas began to rant about management.
"I can't believe this is happening," I said, "Why isn't Heng fighting it?"
"What's the point? You work so hard, fight like crazy, you still get the same salary as the bugger who's a slacker."
"My god," I said, "I can't believe you are saying this!"
"It's true."
"So I should just give up?"
"No, do what you think you should. But let Heng do what he thinks he should."
"It's so unfair."
"Pox girl. You can't save the world."
"I don't want to save the world. I just want to work with Heng. We work well. No. We're a great team. Yeah, I know. He's like half-stoned all the time, he can't make complete sentences, has no interest in anything else by work. I know all that. But that's just why he is so good. He's intense, dedicated. Not like some flaky freshie AD who gets handed an account of a lifetime on Heng's expense."
"Give her a chance. She might be good."
"Tomas!" I stared at him, "Have you been sleeping with her?"
He laughed.

Bad sign.
And not my day.

  • Pencil chewed at
  • 6:41:00 pm //
     
    template © elementopia 2003
     
     
     
    about me
    A neurotic, nail biting, slightly schizo, caffeine crazed copywriter who doesn't know better than waste her life in the pursuit of the golden pencil a.k.a The One Show. To console me, click here.

    Or simply Blogroll Me!

    Today's mood is The current mood of musing@go.com at www.imood.com
    Female. Lives in Malaysia/Selangor/Petaling Jaya, speaks English. Eye color is brown. I am what my mother calls unique. I am also optimistic. My interests are diving/blogging.
    This is my blogchalk:
    Malaysia, Selangor, Petaling Jaya, English, Female, diving, blogging.
     
    archives
    December 2003
    January 2004
    February 2004
    March 2004
    April 2004
    May 2004
    June 2004
    July 2004
    August 2004
    September 2004
    October 2004
    November 2004
    December 2004
    January 2005
    February 2005
     
    people mentioned in this blog
    I realised that it is increasingly difficult for you to identify who's who in this blog. So here's a rundown. Will try to categorise entries to names but that will take some time, cause I still haven't figured out how to do it.
    In the agency
    Big Billy - Boss, my Creative Director
    Donna - beautiful bimbo Account Executive
    Heng - the art director I used to work with
    Hoe, Mr - my favourite client
    Jenna - the art director I'm working with now
    Susan - street smart Group Account Director
    Tina - my Traffic Manager
    Tomas - fellow copywriter, confidante

    Beyond the agency
    June & Mila - my best gal pals
    Matt - the guy dating me
    Minnie & Moe - my guppies
    Trish - the friend who set me up with Matt

    *all names have been changed.
     
    my zany portfolio
    I'll paste work here periodically. But none of them will be real client work - just my own initiates and doodling.
  • Perodua Kancil
  •  
    awesome ad of the week
    G-Day Coffee TVC. Scene opens on guy trying to slide down a dry water slide. He gets stuck. He finally manages to squeak all the way down. TVC ends with him savouring a mug of G-Day coffee and the tag "Save water for G-Day coffee". A bit unreal but I love the humour. And the talent, the Each Other actor (I forgot his name), is super. He makes it work.
     
    wished i wrote that
    We tell our prospects. When you reach for the stars you may not quite get one, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either. - Leo Burnett
     
    resources
    « The One Show »
    « Archive Online »
    « Free TVCs »
    « Adage »
    « Adoimagazine »
    « Books at how&why »
     
    increase your ad quotient
    Read about Leo Burnett, one of advertising's greats. Click here for profile by Time.

    Learn from the masters in this Wall Street Journal's Creative Leaders Series.

     
    blog ads
     
    quickies
    Name

    URL or Email

    Write your messages below and Fly!
    Click for smilies



    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com